Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor


An entire week dedicated to re-tellings of Lewis Carroll's Classic story: 
Alice in Wonderland

The Looking Glass Wars 
by Frank Beddor
Source: My Own Shelf
Published: September 26th 2006 by Dial Books
Edition: Paperback
Genre: YA Fantasy
Purchase: Amazon/Barnes & Noble
**We receive a small kickback from Amazon purchases, all of which will go towards giveaways!
Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis via Goodreads:
When Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, must flee through the Pool of Tears to escape the murderous aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!

Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may eventually battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions surrounding mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination.


This is another interesting Alice in Wonderland retelling with some awesome twists! The story is told in third person from multiple perspectives with a Victorian London twist. I like books that have multiple perspectives because it lets you keep track of a more complex plot line. The Looking Glass Wars is an exciting, action packed read.

This is the second Alice retelling, that I have read, that has Lewis Carroll getting the story wrong. I love reading about the connection of Lewis Carroll and the actual Alice story. The main character, Alyss, is really let down when the story published by Lewis Carroll is not even close to the real story. Her name is even spelled wrong, oh the nerve!

Sadly, this is not one of my favorite Alice retelling. I am actually quite indifferent about the whole book. The book switched between London and Wonderland so frequently that neither settings were fully developed. I also did not enjoy the droid/futuristic theme at all. Everything in Wonderland is created by Imagination and I would have liked if they did not create droids. I usually enjoy the futuristic feel of books but unfortunately I did not enjoy this rendition. 


I couldn't get a strong connection to any of the characters because both London and Wonderland were underdeveloped.  I felt bad and happy for the characters but was not really invested in the future.

BUT I absolutely still plan on reading the rest of the series because I need to know the ending. Hence my 3.5 rating. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !