Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Giver


Paperback, 179 pages
Published January 24th 2006 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published April 26th 1993)

 Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.
 Do you have a book that has stuck with you as a favorite since you read it? Some people flip flop back and forth, every new amazing book is their new  favorite. Of course there is nothing wrong with that, I'm a little bit different : If I call something a favorite once, I stick to it, therefor.. I have MANY favorites. But I see nothing wrong with that. 

The Giver has been in my favorites list since I "had" to read it in middle school. I was one of those students who ( most of the time ) laughed at reading a book being called Homework. I have re read this book..at least once a year. My copy is a well worn paperback, one that fans open if set down, its spine crackling and peeling. Some people may say I don't take good care of my books, I say its well loved. 

The story centers around a Young man and a very.. different community. In Jonas's world there is no fear, no pain. In fact, there are no choices. Your role in the community is decided for you, who you marry is decided for you. Even the children are born to different Mothers, and then given to a selected family. 

At the age of 12 everyone is assigned a role in the community. Jonas is singled out last and told that he has been given the very important role of " Receiver of  Memory" When Jonas meets the current receiver of memory his world is flipped upside down. "the giver" as he comes to be known. Is the one man in the community who understands fear and pain and love and all of those other emotions and memories that the community knows nothing of. He does this so that no one else has to suffer. Jonas now must "receive" these memories. At first it is beautiful and wonderful; Color, music, love. He cannot understand why these memories must be hidden from his friends and family. Then the Giver shows Jonas War, and pain and betrayal. 

How would you feel in a world like this? Do you think it is right to burden one person with all of these memories, so that no one else must suffer? This book makes you think. It will make you question how the world is run and will make you wonder if your society could ever become like the Society Lois Lowry has created in this outstanding book. If you like Dystopian society novels this is one that MUST be on your list. In my opinion it was the beginning of  the dystopian genre for young adult. 

Rating : 5/5 
 The Trilogy:




You may also like:



3 comments:

  1. This post is probably 400 years old (I can't find the date) but I just had to say that I LOVE The Giver. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronni- the post is actually barely over a month old!!.. Right about when I started tht blog :) the giver is also one of my absolute favorites. Even out of all the dystopias out there right now, Lois Lowrey created one that I feel is so unique. Have you read the other books in the series? I only got around to them this year!

    thanks for commenting!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle- is it really really bad my 9 yr old has read this book (per his teacher who though he could handle it) and I have not? He even "got" some of it and loved it. Finished it in a few days, which is pretty good for 4th grade!!! Guess since you recommend it several times I should read it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !